Dental Health Management Methods for Children with Special Needs
- Dyah Nawang Palupi Pratmawari, Giza Romadhoni Rahmawati, Rachel Petrinathea Alfadiandra, Rifdah Nisrinawati Maulina
- Corresponding Author
- Dyah Nawang Palupi Pratmawari
Available Online February 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.21How to use a DOI?
- Children with special needs, preventive dental management, home dental prevention, audiovisual media
- According to AAP (2008), children with special health care needs were defined as "children with any physical, developmental, mental, sensory, behavioral, cognitive, or emotional impairment or limiting condition that requires medical management, health care intervention, and/or specialized services or programs. The condition might be congenital, developmental, or acquired through disease, trauma, or environmental cause and may impose limitations in performing daily self-maintenance activities or substantial limitations in major life activities. Children with special needs had limitation in oral hygiene maintenance, therefore, were more vulnerable to caries and other periodontal disease. Dental treatment was not as easy as in normal children; therefore, special preventive dental management methods are needed. Objective: This review was prepared to present and to critically evaluate some preventive dental management methods that have been developed in the last decade. The literature review was done to determine some methods that could be used as a preventive dental management for special needs children. As many as 3 methods had been developed, and these methods were critically evaluated to determine their benefits and limitations. Conclusion: Good cooperation of government, caregiver, teacher and dentists is needed t provide preventive dental health methods for children with special needs to reduce the risk of caries and periodontal disease.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Dyah Nawang Palupi Pratmawari AU - Giza Romadhoni Rahmawati AU - Rachel Petrinathea Alfadiandra AU - Rifdah Nisrinawati Maulina PY - 2018/02 DA - 2018/02 TI - Dental Health Management Methods for Children with Special Needs BT - International Dental Conference of Sumatera Utara 2017 (IDCSU 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.21 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.21 ID - NawangPalupiPratmawari2018/02 ER -