Povidone-Iodine as Subgingival Irrigation in Chronic Periodontitis Treatment
- Anh Thi Mai Nguyen, Nhat Dinh Dinh Phan
- Corresponding Author
- Anh Thi Mai Nguyen
Available Online May 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/idsm-17.2018.3How to use a DOI?
- chronic periodontitis, povidone-iodine, subgingival irrigation
- The objective of this study is to verify the effects of 0.1% povidone-iodine (PVP-I) as subgingival irrigation on chronic periodontitis patients after 4, 6 and 8-week treatment. A clinical trial was conducted on 18 patients from 30 to 65 years old (mean age: 51.1±11.2) with moderate or severe chronic periodontitis at Faculty of Odonto-Stomatology at University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam 2017. Treatments of chronic periodontitis included oral hygiene in-struction, scaling and root planing plus 0.1% PVP-I irrigation. Clinical parameters including plaque index (PI), gingival index (GI), bleeding on probing (BOP), pocket depth (PD), clinical attachment loss (CAL) and the bacteria level in subgingival plaque (BANA test) were evaluated at 4-time points: T0 (the initial visit), T4 (4 weeks after the initial visit), T6 (6 weeks after the initial visit) and T8 (8 weeks af-ter the initial visit). The whole mouth (PI, GI, BOP, PD and CAL) parameters and BANA test score showed statistically significant reductions from T0 to T8 (p<0.001). The PD and CAL of moderately deep (PD ≥5mm and <7mm); and deep pockets (PD ≥7mm) were significantly decreased from T0 to T8 (p<0.001). The findings from the present study demonstrated that the topical application of 0.1% PVP-I, used as subgingival irrigation along with subgingival root debride-ment had beneficial influences on chronic periodontitis treatments.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Anh Thi Mai Nguyen AU - Nhat Dinh Dinh Phan PY - 2018/05 DA - 2018/05 TI - Povidone-Iodine as Subgingival Irrigation in Chronic Periodontitis Treatment BT - 11th International Dentistry Scientific Meeting (IDSM 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/idsm-17.2018.3 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/idsm-17.2018.3 ID - Nguyen2018/05 ER -