Pilot evaluation of the therapeutic effect of Silver Diamine Fluoride (SDF) in Arresting dental caries in the primary teeth of Cambodian slum children
- Mengkheng Chray, Shunhour Khorn, Sreykhouch Da, Bathsheba Turton, Callum Durward
- Corresponding Author
- Mengkheng Chray
Available Online May 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/idsm-17.2018.17How to use a DOI?
- arrest of caries, dental caries, cambodia, silver diamine fluoride, primary teeth
- Background. Silver Diamine Fluoride (SDF) is a clinically applied treatment that controls active dental caries and aids in preventing further progression of the car-ies process. Aim of study. To establish the effectiveness of SDF in arresting pri-mary tooth caries in 6-12-year-old Cambodian children. Methods. A longitudinal observational study was conducted using a convenience sample of 167 children from Api Wat Meanchey primary school who were recruited following consent. Participants received two applications of SDF (Cariestop 30%, Biodinamica, Ibi-pora, Brazil) at six-month intervals and follow-up examinations after 1 year. Oral health education was provided to the participants at the beginning of the study and a school tooth brushing program was in place. Results. 118 (70.7%) of the participants were followed up after one year of which 56.8% were female. The mean dmft/DMFT at baseline was 10.5 (SD 7.6) / 4.6 (SD 4.9). At follow up 82.5% of open carious lesions were arrested. Conclusions. Application of 30% SDF solution two times per year was an effective way to manage caries in this very high caries risk population.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Mengkheng Chray AU - Shunhour Khorn AU - Sreykhouch Da AU - Bathsheba Turton AU - Callum Durward PY - 2018/05 DA - 2018/05 TI - Pilot evaluation of the therapeutic effect of Silver Diamine Fluoride (SDF) in Arresting dental caries in the primary teeth of Cambodian slum children BT - 11th International Dentistry Scientific Meeting (IDSM 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/idsm-17.2018.17 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/idsm-17.2018.17 ID - Chray2018/05 ER -