Factors Associated with Gingivitis in 10-Year-Old School Children in Vietnam
- Phuc Anh Nguyen, Thuy Anh Vu Pham
- Corresponding Author
- Phuc Anh Nguyen
Available Online May 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/idsm-17.2018.24How to use a DOI?
- body mass index, gingivitis, 10-year-old school children, Vietnam.
- The objective of this study is to determine factors associated with gingivitis in 10-year-old Vietnamese school children. A cross-sectional study consisted of 1,079 children matched for age 10-year-old who were randomly selected from 16 public schools in Ho Chi Minh City, 2015 applying PPS (Probability Propor-tional to Size) sampling. Self-reported oral health, dental habits, dietary, physical activities habits and anthropometric indices were investigated by self-administered ques-tionnaires. Plaque index (PI) and gingival index (GI) were examined. Children’s nutritional status classification was based on Body Mass Index (BMI-for-age percentile). The multivariate logistic regression analysis was performed to further assess the association between the obesity and gingivitis after adjusting con-founding factors. The prevalence of gingivitis in study sample was about 100%. Both of PI and GI increased gradually across normal and overweight children then overweight to obese children and both of these differences were statistically significant, (p<0.001). The risk factors that significantly related to gingivitis were self-reported gingivitis (OR=1.5; CI=1.0-2.0), regular dental check-ups (OR=1.3; CI=1.0-1.7), self-checked gingiva frequency (OR=1.3; CI=1.0-1.7), overweight (OR=1.5; CI=1.5-2.1), obesity (OR=6.1; CI=3.9-9.6) and dental plaque (OR=1.7; CI=1.3-2.3), (p<0.05). In conclusion, Gingivitis were associated with oral and be-havioral factors in 10-year-old school children in Ho Chi Minh City. This study al-so demonstrated the significant association between gingivitis and obesity in school children. Thus, the importance of obesity should not only be emphasized with respect to general diseases but also with regard to oral disease in future pre-ventive programs.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Phuc Anh Nguyen AU - Thuy Anh Vu Pham PY - 2018/05 DA - 2018/05 TI - Factors Associated with Gingivitis in 10-Year-Old School Children in Vietnam BT - 11th International Dentistry Scientific Meeting (IDSM 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/idsm-17.2018.24 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/idsm-17.2018.24 ID - Nguyen2018/05 ER -