An in Vitro Evaluation of the Antimicrobial Effectiveness of Alginate-Based Metronidazole Gel Against Aggregatibacter Actinomycetemcomitans
- Martina Amalia, Irma Ervina, Hakim Bangun
- Corresponding Author
- Martina Amalia
Available Online May 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/idsm-17.2018.41How to use a DOI?
- metronidazole gel, alginate, Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans
- This study was to analyze the effect of alginate based metronidazole gel in inhib-iting A. actinomycetemcomitans bacteria growth with in vitro evaluation. Algi-nate-based gel used in this study contains metronidazole 15%, 25%, and 25% metronidazole non-alginate based gel as a comparison. The bacteria used were a pure culture of A. actinomycetemcomitans (ATCC 29522), cultured in Tryptic Soy Agar (TSA) media. Bacteria test was done by placing the metronidazole gel into TSA media that contained bacteria which was put on the disc paper with the aid of sterile tweezers, and 100µl of gel metronidazole was dripped on the disc paper after that TSA media was incubated at 370 C for 24 hours. Measurement of the inhibit zone diameter was observed daily for three days using callipers. The average diameter of inhibition zone of 15%, 25% metronidazole alginate-based gel and 25% metronidazole non-alginate based gel towards A. actinomycetem-comitans were 15.33 mm, 16.67 mm and 15.33 mm. There was no significant dif-ference between day one and three on 15% and 25% alginate based metronida-zole gel, except for non-alginate-based metronidazole gel there was a significant difference between day 1, 2 and 3. The result suggested that 15%, 25% alginate based and 25% metronidazole non-alginate-based metronidazole gel has a strong influence towards A. actinomycetemcomitans bacteria.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Martina Amalia AU - Irma Ervina AU - Hakim Bangun PY - 2018/05 DA - 2018/05 TI - An in Vitro Evaluation of the Antimicrobial Effectiveness of Alginate-Based Metronidazole Gel Against Aggregatibacter Actinomycetemcomitans BT - 11th International Dentistry Scientific Meeting (IDSM 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/idsm-17.2018.41 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/idsm-17.2018.41 ID - Amalia2018/05 ER -