Virulence of periodontopathogens Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans and Porphyromonas gingivalis: micro-computed tomography and inflammatory cytokine analysis
- Melok A. Wahyukundari, Desi S. Sari, Peni Pujiastuti, Depi Praharani, Yuliana M.D Arina, Tantin Ermawati, Fourier D.E Latief
- Corresponding Author
- Melok A. Wahyukundari
Available Online May 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/idsm-17.2018.42How to use a DOI?
- Periodontal disease, crude protein of A. actinomycetemcomitans, P. gingivalis lipopolysaccharides, inflammatory cytokine, μ-CT
- The objective of this study is to determine the difference between A. actinomy-cetemcomitans and P. gingivalis virulence as the cause of periodontal disease. Thirty male Wistar rats were divided into six groups. Ten rats were induced by 10 ug/mL P. gingivalis lipopolysaccharides (LPS), and the other ten rats were induced by 10 ug/mL crude proteins of A. actinomycetemcomitans. The injection was performed three times for six weeks in the interdental area between the first and the second mandibular right molar by using a 30gauge needle. On the third and seventh days, five rats from each group were decapitated and observed with mi-cro-computed tomography (μ-CT) to determine the severity of alveolar bone re-sorption. The immunohistochemical method was used to find the expression of macrophage inflammatory cytokines (IL-1β and TNF-α). The ANOVA test was performed to determine the difference among each group. The μ-CT image ob-servation of each group revealed that the severity of alveolar bone resorption was different in each group. In the group that was induced by the crude proteins of A. actinomycetemcomitans, resorption was more advanced than those in the LPS and the control group. A significant increase (p<0.05) was found in IL-1β and TNF-α expressions after induction in both groups on the third and seventh days, with the highest cytokine expression observed on the seventh day. The expres-sions of IL-1β and TNF-α in the group that was induced by the crude proteins of A. actinomycetemcomitans were significantly higher than those in the LPS group. The crude proteins of A. actinomycetemcomitans showed a greater level of viru-lence than the P. gingivalis LPS in either alveolar bone resorption or inflammatory cytokine expression.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Melok A. Wahyukundari AU - Desi S. Sari AU - Peni Pujiastuti AU - Depi Praharani AU - Yuliana M.D Arina AU - Tantin Ermawati AU - Fourier D.E Latief PY - 2018/05 DA - 2018/05 TI - Virulence of periodontopathogens Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans and Porphyromonas gingivalis: micro-computed tomography and inflammatory cytokine analysis BT - 11th International Dentistry Scientific Meeting (IDSM 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/idsm-17.2018.42 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/idsm-17.2018.42 ID - Wahyukundari2018/05 ER -