Pendamping Desa (Village Mentor) as A Community Manager: A Case Study of the Role of Pendamping Desa in Empowering Community and Local Institution Through Communication Approach in the Province of Riau-Indonesia
- Antar Venus, Adiatma Siregar
- Corresponding Author
- Antar Venus
Available Online October 2016.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/imm-16.2016.25How to use a DOI?
- Pendamping desa, UED-SP, community empowerment, Communication skill, and community leader.
- Statistic shows that until 2015 around 25 % of the Riau people are still living in poverty. Two possible causes are the poor's lack of local access to financial institutions and low capability to solve poverty. Riau provincial government has introduced a community-based microfinance institution called Village Empowerment Program which includes economic empowerment, to be organized by local people. To ensure that the new local institutions are effective and community empowerment is achieved, the government appointed pendamping desa (village mentor). This study aims to understand the role of pendamping desa in empowering local community and institutions through communication approach. This research focuses on four different parts in Riau province. Data were collected through interviews with six informants who directly involved with the UED-SP program. Pendamping Desa are university graduates who are recommended by village leaders to be selected, appointed, trained by the provincial government and placed in areas close to their areas of origin. Communication skills of pendamping desa becomes the most important factor in improving community acceptance and in implementing community empowerment, and they also became a bridge between elements of society and simultaneously drives the various activities to increase the capability of local communities and institution. A participatory approach is the most suitable technique in empowering community and building the UED-SP institution. Communication skill of pendamping desa plays a significant role in connecting all parties involved in community empowerment activities.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Antar Venus AU - Adiatma Siregar PY - 2016/10 DA - 2016/10 TI - Pendamping Desa (Village Mentor) as A Community Manager: A Case Study of the Role of Pendamping Desa in Empowering Community and Local Institution Through Communication Approach in the Province of Riau-Indonesia BT - International Conference, Integrated Microfinance Management for Sustainable Community Development(IMM 2016) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-5428 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/imm-16.2016.25 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/imm-16.2016.25 ID - Venus2016/10 ER -