Cohesive Features in English as a Second Language Students’Argumentative Writing - Taking Kunming University as an Example
- Min Yang, Rongrong Pan, Zhou Chen
- Corresponding Author
- Min Yang
Available Online July 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/iserss-18.2018.97How to use a DOI?
- cohesive features, argumentative writing, conjunction, lexical cohesion, teaching strategies
- Productive skills, especially writing, are the most problematic areas for ESL students. Nowadays, how to write a coherent text is of great importance particularly in argumentative writing. Based on Halliday and Hasan’s theory, this article analyses the cohesive features in the 20 students’ English argumentative writing from the Preliminary of “FLTRP Cup” English Writing Contest in 2017. The results indicate that there exist some problems in their wiring, such as overusing simple cohesive devices and misusing some cohesive devices. Therefore, the author suggests that the teachers of College English in Kunming University could focus much on giving instruction of cohesion theory and helping students learn how to use various cohesive devise appropriately in writing.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Min Yang AU - Rongrong Pan AU - Zhou Chen PY - 2018/07 DA - 2018/07 TI - Cohesive Features in English as a Second Language Students’Argumentative Writing - Taking Kunming University as an Example BT - 2018 International Seminar on Education Research and Social Science (ISERSS 2018) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-5398 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/iserss-18.2018.97 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/iserss-18.2018.97 ID - Yang2018/07 ER -