The security of medium truck with Engine brake (Jacobs) driving through the mountain highway long downhill slope
- Jianbo Wang, Bin Chen, Hengkai Wang, Cao He
- Corresponding Author
- Jianbo Wang
Available Online November 2012.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/mmat.2013.22How to use a DOI?
- straight truck, Jacobs engine brake,Mountain highway,continuous downhill,safety.
- In order to solve the problem that the truck should spray water to cool its brake during run the long downhill on mountain highway in winter which can Lead to icy road and cause traffic accidents. We specially selected the straight truck (6×4)which install the engine brake (Jacobs), carrying carry out safety tests on Yaxi highway downhill sections in winter. The tests showed that 30% of vehicle overloading conditions, without the engine brake (Jacobs), relying on the service brake to control downhill speed, when the elevation drop of about 300m, the truck’s highest brake drum temperature will rise to a hot recession critical failure temperature (260 ) above. If you continue driving, it will lead to break failure and loss of control. When the truck going downhill and open the engine brake (Jacobs), due to the brake load is greatly reduced, the brake drum temperature of the truck maintained at 150 or less to maintain a good braking performance, and the truck can pass the 51km gap between 1500m long downhill safely. The results of field test shows that, when a straight truck going down a long downhill slope and open the engine braking (Jacobs), the brake maintain a safe speed without spraying water, and keeping good braking performance.So it can solve the straight truck pass the long downhill sections of mountain highway fundamentally and the brake is not tricking.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Jianbo Wang AU - Bin Chen AU - Hengkai Wang AU - Cao He PY - 2012/11 DA - 2012/11 TI - The security of medium truck with Engine brake (Jacobs) driving through the mountain highway long downhill slope BT - Proceedings of the 2012 International Conference on Automobile and Traffic Science, Materials and Metallurgy Engineering PB - Atlantis Press UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/mmat.2013.22 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/mmat.2013.22 ID - Wang2012/11 ER -