Volume 1, Issue 4, December 2008, Pages 304 - 312
An Image Based Approach to Compute Object Distance
- Ashfaqur Rahman, Abdus Salam, Mahfuzul Islam, Partha Sarker
- Corresponding Author
- Ashfaqur Rahman
Available Online 2 January 2009.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/ijcis.2008.1.4.3How to use a DOI?
- depth detection, object tracking, image processing, artificial intelligence
- Computing object distance using image processing is an important research area in the field of computer vision and robot navigation applications. In this paper we have proposed a new method to compute the distance of an object using a single image. According to our observation there exists a relationship between the physical distance of an object and its pixel height. We exploit this relationship to train a system that finds a mapping between an object’s pixel height and physical distance. This mapping is then used to find the physical distance of test objects from the pixel height in the image. Experimental results demonstrate the capability of our proposed technique by estimating physical distance with accuracy as high as 98.76%.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - JOUR AU - Ashfaqur Rahman AU - Abdus Salam AU - Mahfuzul Islam AU - Partha Sarker PY - 2009 DA - 2009/01 TI - An Image Based Approach to Compute Object Distance JO - International Journal of Computational Intelligence Systems SP - 304 EP - 312 VL - 1 IS - 4 SN - 1875-6883 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/ijcis.2008.1.4.3 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/ijcis.2008.1.4.3 ID - Rahman2009 ER -