Bridging the Skills Gap Through Teaching Factory (TEFA)
- Mukhidin Mukhidin, Jonah Mupita
- Corresponding Author
- Mukhidin Mukhidin
Available Online July 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/aptekindo-18.2018.48How to use a DOI?
- Teaching Factory, Skills gap, SMKs, Vocational education
- In most developing countries the vocational curricula are still lagging behind in terms of linkage and matching with skills needed by the industry. Teaching factory is a suitable learning and training model that can produce graduates who are competent with industry desirable skills. Teaching factory has great potential to narrow or close the skills gap. The purpose of this study was to determine the potential of teaching factory to produce competent graduates. The observation done in some vocational schools (SMKs) in Bandung revealed that learning was done under industry conditions but shortages of training infrastructure was slowing down the training processes. All the schools used a block time table in which grouped students rotate between theory and practice. The government should increase the infrastructure budget for the vocational schools (SMKs) and also help schools to mobilize capital development funds.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Mukhidin Mukhidin AU - Jonah Mupita PY - 2018/07 DA - 2018/07 TI - Bridging the Skills Gap Through Teaching Factory (TEFA) BT - International Conference on Indonesian Technical Vocational Education and Association (APTEKINDO 2018) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-5398 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/aptekindo-18.2018.48 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/aptekindo-18.2018.48 ID - Mukhidin2018/07 ER -