Preventive Oral Health Care in a School for Children with Special Health Care Needs
- Kittichai Sireerat, Patcharaphol Samnieng
- Corresponding Author
- Kittichai Sireerat
Available Online May 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/idsm-17.2018.13How to use a DOI?
- children with special needs; preventive oral health care
- Purpose: The objectives of this study were 1. To examine the oral health status of children with special health care needs and 2. To evaluate a preventive oral health care program for these children. Method: Subjects included 32 children in a spe-cial health care needs school who were given an oral examination. The DMFT/dmft and DI-S indices were used to assess their oral health status. A pre-ventive oral health care program was developed by focus group discussion (teachers, parents, caregivers, and dental students). The children’s oral health sta-tus was evaluated 1 year after the initiation of a preventive oral health program. Result: In the year 2015, the average DMFT and dmft scores were 3.2 and 2.23, respectively, and DI-S score was 2.15. The preventive oral health care program consisted of the following: 1. A policy for fruit or non-sugar or low-sugar between-meal snacks; 2. Instruction for the children to brush their teeth after meals; and 3. Routine fluoride mouth rinsing after snack time. After the preventive oral health program, the average DMFT and dmft scores in the year 2016 were 1.4 and 1.6, respectively, and the average DI-S score was 2.1. Conclusion: The oral health sta-tus of children with special health care needs was poor. A preventive oral health care program was effective at improving the oral health of children with special needs. Participation of all stakeholders was important.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Kittichai Sireerat AU - Patcharaphol Samnieng PY - 2018/05 DA - 2018/05 TI - Preventive Oral Health Care in a School for Children with Special Health Care Needs BT - 11th International Dentistry Scientific Meeting (IDSM 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/idsm-17.2018.13 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/idsm-17.2018.13 ID - Sireerat2018/05 ER -