The Effect of Light-Curing Duration and Different Composite Shades on Color Stability of Composite Resins
- Nurhanani Mohd Sadek, Nur Syuhadah Jamal, Victor Goh, Goo Chui Ling
- Corresponding Author
- Nurhanani Mohd Sadek
Available Online May 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/idsm-17.2018.22How to use a DOI?
- composite resin, color stability, light curing duration, composite shades, light-emitting diodes
- Aims of this study is to evaluate the effect of light-curing duration using light-emitting diodes (LED) curing units and different composite shades on the color stability of the composite resins. Specimens in four shades of two types of com-posite resin were prepared and polymerized with the LED curing unit. The initial color parameters (L*,a*,b*,E*) were done using a spectropho-tometer before sub-jected to a thermocycling regimen comprising of 500 cycles in water of 55˚C and 5˚C. The final color readout was then performed to determine the color changes using ANOVA and Tukey-Kramer post-hoc test. After thermocycling regimen, the mean delta E* of specimens were in the range of 1.67 to 4.78. The mean delta a* of specimens were mostly positive, while the mean delta L* and delta b* were mostly negative. There was perceptible color change in most of the specimens as they were mostly darker value (negative delta L*), shifted towards reddish discol-oration (positive delta a*) and blueish discoloration (negative delta b*). The color change experienced by the specimens could not be anticipated in relation to cur-ing duration and types of composite shades as the effect was more likely depend-ent on individual material composition rather than actual shade classification. Neither light-cure duration nor difference in shades had significant effect on the amount of color change in composite resins.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Nurhanani Mohd Sadek AU - Nur Syuhadah Jamal AU - Victor Goh AU - Goo Chui Ling PY - 2018/05 DA - 2018/05 TI - The Effect of Light-Curing Duration and Different Composite Shades on Color Stability of Composite Resins BT - 11th International Dentistry Scientific Meeting (IDSM 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/idsm-17.2018.22 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/idsm-17.2018.22 ID - MohdSadek2018/05 ER -