The Interpretative Meaning of Stigma Experience in Adolescent Living with CLP
- Ruohlih Lei, Chichun Chin, Ptlene Minick, Huiching Liu, Shihching Fang
- Corresponding Author
- Ruohlih Lei
Available Online December 2013.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/mdhss-13.2013.39How to use a DOI?
- stigma experience, cleft Lip and palate, adolescents
- Cleft lip and palate is one of the common congenital defects. Significant advances have been made in our understanding of Cleft Lip and Plate (CLP) specific physical and psychosocial problems. However, studies of subjective stigma experience in adolescents with cleft lip and palate is limited. From humanistic nursing perspective, a qualitative research design, hermeneutics phenomenology, was adopted, using depth interviews with participants who were selected by purposive sampling method. A total of 9 informants participated in this study, after clarifying pre-understand, the interviews were transcribed and a hermeneutical circle analysis of their thematic contents were carried out.The result show that the interpretative stigma experience was described as "crossing the fog of being noticed: living with determination". Three aspects were included: 1. the fact of being internalized: living with blood relatives - acceptance and rejection of the original family; 2. the contradiction of being noticed: living with the rift - dissimilation and assimilation of others; 3. the possibility of planning for the future: living with cleft lip and palate - determination for existing dilemma.The findings of this study may provide healthcare staff a useful reference when caring for disabled people with visible facial scars. It may also provide guidance in developing a nursing care plan with intersubjectivity and fore-structure of understanding to meet the needs of these patients and enhance the quality of their care.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Ruohlih Lei AU - Chichun Chin AU - Ptlene Minick AU - Huiching Liu AU - Shihching Fang PY - 2013/12 DA - 2013/12 TI - The Interpretative Meaning of Stigma Experience in Adolescent Living with CLP BT - 2013 International Conference on the Modern Development of Humanities and Social Science PB - Atlantis Press SN - 1951-6851 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/mdhss-13.2013.39 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/mdhss-13.2013.39 ID - Lei2013/12 ER -