Social Commentary Through Photographic Representation in Malaysia
- Husaini Yaacob, Mustaffa Halabi Hj. Azahari, Adzrool Idzwan Hj. Ismail
- Corresponding Author
- Husaini Yaacob
Available Online December 2013.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/mdhss-13.2013.88How to use a DOI?
- communication, message, photography, social commentary
- Up to this modern and advanced era of technology, photograph is considered as a medium to record moments and events. Through social commentary photography artists produced photography artworks to represent their ideas through expressing their opinion, emotions, and sentiments for the viewers. However, most people are not aware that photography is an alternative way to convey messages to change people’s attitude towards certain issues. In the Western countries, social commentary images have been accepted by their public since many years ago as a means of communication. Ideas and opinions were expressed through photographs for their public to create change and to trigger societal changes. Through social commentary, photography represents messages for the public to interpret the representation it contains as a conveyance from the photographic artists towards the public. However, some public in developing countries believe that, photography is not regarded as a means of communication but only consider it as a record and artwork. Hence, the message by fellow social commentary artists was not being acknowledged and understood by the public. As a consequence, a communication gap exists between the artist and the public in the form of acceptance and understanding. This study adapted qualitative method which revealed results from observations and interviews among social commentary photographic artists and the public. Since this study has not been conducted in Malaysia, hence, it was pertinent to understand the public’s perception on photographic representation through social commentary. This study benefits the Malaysian government to realize the usage of photography as an approach to promote change towards its societal issues.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Husaini Yaacob AU - Mustaffa Halabi Hj. Azahari AU - Adzrool Idzwan Hj. Ismail PY - 2013/12 DA - 2013/12 TI - Social Commentary Through Photographic Representation in Malaysia BT - 2013 International Conference on the Modern Development of Humanities and Social Science PB - Atlantis Press SN - 1951-6851 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/mdhss-13.2013.88 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/mdhss-13.2013.88 ID - Yaacob2013/12 ER -