Diabetes Healthcare Awareness in Malaysia:Communication Medium Through Poster in Socioeconomic Patterns
- Salinatin Mohamad Saleh, Mustaffa Halabi Hj. Azahari, Adzrool Idzwan Hj. Ismail, Husaini Yaacob
- Corresponding Author
- Salinatin Mohamad Saleh
Available Online December 2013.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/mdhss-13.2013.96How to use a DOI?
- poster; propaganda, diabetes healthcare,awareness, visual message
- Poster has been a medium of communication in public healthcare since World War I and II. It was used to channel the minds of the public towards one common insight and from this iconic milieu, poster propaganda has emerged globally. To date, health posters have been produced and distributed by the Ministry of Health Malaysia to the hospitals and healthcare centres. It has been used extensively in many areas of healthcare campaigns to evoke health awareness among the public. Nevertheless, many are not aware that health posters have been part of communication tool in health seminars, campaigns and exhibitions around the country. However, despite the usage as healthcare communication tools, diabetes statistic in Malaysia still increases drastically from 1.6 million in 2011 to 2.6 million in 2012. The huge increase invites an enquiry on the role of diabetic posters as communication medium in healthcare. This study explored public’s opinion in two areas of socioeconomic patterning through observations and interviews in five different regions of the country with two socioeconomic patterns; rural and urban. Beneficial entries goes to the Ministry of Health Malaysia towards understanding the role of diabetic poster as a communication medium in diabetic healthcare awareness among different socioeconomic patterning in Malaysia.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Salinatin Mohamad Saleh AU - Mustaffa Halabi Hj. Azahari AU - Adzrool Idzwan Hj. Ismail AU - Husaini Yaacob PY - 2013/12 DA - 2013/12 TI - Diabetes Healthcare Awareness in Malaysia:Communication Medium Through Poster in Socioeconomic Patterns BT - 2013 International Conference on the Modern Development of Humanities and Social Science PB - Atlantis Press SN - 1951-6851 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/mdhss-13.2013.96 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/mdhss-13.2013.96 ID - Saleh2013/12 ER -