Wavelet 2D Modal Curvature for Identifying Non-Uniform Cracks in Plates under Noisy Conditions
- Wei Xu, Mao-Sen Cao, Yu-Feng Zhang, Maciej RadzienSki
- Corresponding Author
- Wei Xu
Available Online December 2016.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/mme-16.2017.22How to use a DOI?
- Damage detection; Non-uniform crack; Plate; Modal curvature; Wavelet transform; Noise interference.
- Identifying non-uniform cracks in plates is a challenging problem worthy of exploration. 2D modal curvature is often utilized to detect damage in plates, but its capability to precisely identify non-uniform cracks has not been resolved well, largely due to two noticeable deficiencies, lack of sensitivity to damage and susceptibility to noise interference. With this concern, this study ameliorates the 2D modal curvature using the wavelet transform, whereby the wavelet 2D modal curvature is constructed. Damage features extracted from the wavelet 2D modal curvature can be employed to identify non-uniform cracks in plates. This wavelet 2D modal curvature enjoys the multiscale analysis characteristics introduced by the wavelet transform, leading to synchronous extraction of damage features and elimination of noise interference. These features endow the wavelet 2D modal curvature with the capability to identify non-uniform cracks under noisy conditions. The performance of the wavelet 2D modal curvature is verified by damage detection in a plate with a non-uniform crack. The results show the wavelet 2D modal curvature can effectively identify non-uniform cracks in plates under noisy conditions.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Wei Xu AU - Mao-Sen Cao AU - Yu-Feng Zhang AU - Maciej RadzienSki PY - 2016/12 DA - 2016/12 TI - Wavelet 2D Modal Curvature for Identifying Non-Uniform Cracks in Plates under Noisy Conditions BT - 3rd Annual International Conference on Mechanics and Mechanical Engineering (MME 2016) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-5401 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/mme-16.2017.22 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/mme-16.2017.22 ID - Xu2016/12 ER -