A Numerical Study on the Resistance Prediction of a Medium Speed Craft
- Shao-Quan Deng, Guo-Xiang Hou
- Corresponding Author
- Shao-Quan Deng
Available Online December 2016.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/mme-16.2017.122How to use a DOI?
- Ship resistance prediction, CFD, Navigation attitude, Hydrostatic equilibrium equations of ship.
- This paper aims to study the resistance performance of a medium speed ship, the steady-state Reynolds-averaged Navier-Stokes (RANS) simulations are performed by utilizing a commercial CFD software package named Fluent. With the increasing of the ship's speed, the navigation attitude changes significantly as well, in order to achieve precise prediction results, the sinkage and trim motion should be taken into consideration. The author adopted a simple but effective method called "static equilibrium method" to determine the sinkage and trim motion and adjust the navigation attitude. Compared to the result from the towing tank experiment, the predicted result shows a good agreement, it indicates that this method can be a reliable method to predict the resistance performance of this kind of ships and can be used in the process of designing ships.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Shao-Quan Deng AU - Guo-Xiang Hou PY - 2016/12 DA - 2016/12 TI - A Numerical Study on the Resistance Prediction of a Medium Speed Craft BT - 3rd Annual International Conference on Mechanics and Mechanical Engineering (MME 2016) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-5401 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/mme-16.2017.122 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/mme-16.2017.122 ID - Deng2016/12 ER -