Finite Element Analysis of the Dynamic Response of the Maxillary Molar under Impact Loading
- Hai-Tao Xin, Yu-Lu Wu, Kai Li, Xiao-Ou Diao, Fan Feng, Chen-Yun Dou
- Corresponding Author
- Hai-Tao Xin
Available Online December 2016.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/mme-16.2017.140How to use a DOI?
- Maxillary molar, Periodontal ligament, Vibration, Dynamic analysis, Response.
- The dynamic response of a maxillary molar with periodontal ligament (PDL) was investigated to explore the dynamic behavior of the tooth. Three-dimensional (3D) finite element model of a maxillary molar with periodontium was constructed using CT image-reconstruction. The modal vibration of the maxillary molar in the periodontal system was performed at first, and then the dynamic response of the tooth under an impact loading was calculated and compared with the results of the different periodontal attachments in order to assess the condition of the periodontium. The first four modes were dominant in the modal vibration. The resonant frequency of the maxillary molar under the impact loading was close to the frequency of the second mode in the modal analysis. The resonant frequency decreased gradually with the loss of alveolar bone, while the resonant amplitude increased nonlinearly. The resonant frequency and amplitude of the maxillary molar can be used to describe the loss of alveolar bone and the condition of periodontium.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Hai-Tao Xin AU - Yu-Lu Wu AU - Kai Li AU - Xiao-Ou Diao AU - Fan Feng AU - Chen-Yun Dou PY - 2016/12 DA - 2016/12 TI - Finite Element Analysis of the Dynamic Response of the Maxillary Molar under Impact Loading BT - 3rd Annual International Conference on Mechanics and Mechanical Engineering (MME 2016) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-5401 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/mme-16.2017.140 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/mme-16.2017.140 ID - Xin2016/12 ER -